Monday 29 October 2007

Into the psyche, now here we go...

Ah, The Volcanoes. One album, one single, two tracks on a compilation. Criminal, really. We've already had the single - a veritable lesson in what to cover, how to cover it, and how to fill the flipside with genius rockin' powerpop - so it's about time we finished the lamentably brief musical odyssey that was The Volcanoes.

First up, the compilation.



Hybrid Gyrations Vol. II (Hybrid; 1985)

A1: Wayward Souls - Unknown Journey
A2: Jon Wayne - Mr. Egyptian
A3: Multicoloured Shades - (The Ballad of) The Voodoo Ranger
A4: The Volcanoes - Into the Psyche
A5: Honolulu Mountain Daffodils - Electrified Sons of Randy Alvey
B1: The Volcanoes - Wild
B2: Multicoloured Shades - Heartbeat
B3: Honolulu Mountain Daffodils - The Sinners Club
B4: Wayward Souls - Now
B5: Jon Wayne - Texas Polka


Not the easiest album to get hold of (not my scan - the scanner is in the wardrobe, under the spare amp and a pair of shoes. It's kinda cramped in here. So thanks to whichever person on el ebay del espana took the little photo) and despite hunting high and low for twenty years, volume one has yet to cross my path. I'm not too narked by this, as I don't think it has any wonderful Volcanoesness secreted in its grooves and, whilst there are some remarkable moments on here not by them, it's The Volcanoes that we're here for. Oh yes.

We start off with The Wayward Souls, finely balancing themselves on the very edge between 80s jangling chart/indie pop and 80s neo-psyche garage revival (their entry on the other side edges slightly more rockwards, siphoning off the spirit of Roky Erickson rather than Sky Saxon). They probably wore a fair bit of paisley. It's very difficult to dislike, but equally it's rather difficult to get too excited about it. Which is not a charge that can be levelled at Jon Wayne.

If you weren't desperate to own the album for The Volcanoes (and why not? WELL?), then you'd be wanting it for Jon Wayne, and in particular "Mr. Egyptian". A semi-musical, devo-tinged, drug-addled cowpunkin' retardostomp through the perils of buying oil and gas at a truckstop from a north African in deepest darkest Texas. Don't give me none of that no-go-diggy-di shit. Probably the most "famous" song on here (I seem to recall it being something of a favourite of John Peel), it really is something to behold. Their other entry is equally bizarre, but lacks a little bit of the Mr. Egyptian magic.

The Multicoloured Shades sit quite happily next to The Wayward Souls, ploughing a very similar furrow with tools borrowed from the same bunch of people. On "Heartbeat" they do it most pleasingly indeed, but we're still very firmly planted in paisley shirt territory (by no means a bad thing per se, I had one myself. Very nice it was too).

The next most interesting entry would be Honolulu Mountain Daffodils (yes, I know I've skipped one. I'm saving them for the end). Apart from having one of the worst bandnames around, they're really quite good. On "Electrified Sons of Randy Alvey", they construct a gloomy, clanking, semi-industrial, electrogoth racket to titillate the ears. This is interspersed with the occasional tuneful croon of "ohhh, baby do you see where we go". Which is, of course, from "Green Fuz". Hence the name of the song. You have to admire a band who whilst trying to sound like they think they are the most futuristic band on the planet (this was 1985, remember) insist on positioning themselves as the musical heirs to a chap from thirty years previously who is only remembered for one song (and even then only because The Cramps covered it). They let the guitarist back in for their second song and sound disappointingly regular as a result (although the chap's efforts at singing remain quite pleasingly scary). But still, "Electrified Sons of Randy Alvey". Mental.

Ah, The Volcanoes. Oops, slight deja vu there. They sound a little like they might have worn paisley too, only their paisley would have been entirely black. This version of "Into the Psyche" (they rerecorded it for the album, but more on that anon) is one of my very favourite songs, which therefore plainly makes it one of the best songs ever deemed worthy of recording. A splendid boingingly fat bass, squalling guitars and that voice. Starts slow and builds up (I'm a sucker for songs that do that). There aren't many bands that can sing "Here I go, the spiral fall, is pushing me, pushing me, into the psyche NOW HERE WE GO" without sounding like utter twats. The Volcanoes are one of them. A gloomy, soaring, rocking, fantastic neogothpsychegarage masterpiece by people who probably wore black paisley and thought bats were cool. And if that doesn't get your juices flowing, then they've probably dried up and left you a crinkling, tinder-dry withered husk of a musical being.

"And introducing Mr. Stuart Volcano on snare drum. Also the same person on bass drum. Yeah. Here we go, Mr. Kid Volcano on guitar. Let's hear it boy..." I don't think he actually says Stuart. It sounds like Steel or something. But, as the drummer was called Stuart, then Stuart is what I shall be typing. For some reason, "Wild" didn't make the album. Impossible to fathom why, although it does give a hint as to the quality of the songs that did make it on. A hint of the billy is added to the gothgaragerockin' neo-psyche. Driven along by the irresistible shuffling drums, it lays down a rock solid platform for Janez (possibly not his real name - Janez Dernulc seems to be a minor Slovenian figure of note from WWII) to let loose with his mighty pipes. Bloody wonderful.


The Volcanoes - Into the Psyche (Hybrid;1985)

A1: Poison Myself
A2: Crane
A3: The Scene
A4: Johnny Johnny
A5: Spider God of Voodoo
B1: All My Little Voodoos
B2: Familiar Vermilion
B3: Poem/Into the Psyche
B4: Devil and the Deep Blue Sea


Apologies for the low quality art there - it's no easier to find on t'web than the compilation, and the scanner is still in the wardrobe (I haven't built an extension inbetween uploading albums). Doesn't even begin to do justice to the detail of the cover - which is all the more impetus for you to get out there and track down a copy. It can be done, although you'll need to be patient. Plus, it seems that if often gets listed as "new wave" (?!?), "goth" or "indie rock". Which is quite frankly bizarre - they're possibly basing it on a tiny bit of "Crane" where the song briefly threatens to turn into "Killing Moon". I guess it doesn't help that this comes right before the start of "The Scene", which is a not too distant cousin of "Submission". I don't think it helped their cause, this being generically confusing to people who should know better. They could have invented Gothadelic as a genre for them, not that it would have described them any better.

Anyway, the album starts with a bold statement of intent ("Poison Myself"), and doesn't let up or let go of your ears from then on. Some of the songs are slower burners than the four released before the album (only really the aforementioned "Poison Myself" and "Familiar Vermilion" - an awesome twisted stroll through an inverted version of cheery 70s stomp pop) are quite as instant as the others), but no less good as a result. My one tiny quibble is the rerecording of the title track. Whilst the added "Poem" segment works quite well, the rest is a tiny step down from the original. They absolutely bloody bastard nailed it first time, so quite why Roman Jugg thought they should have another go, I'll never know. Yes, that Roman Jugg. He produced them, y'see, when not busy off being one of The Damned (and, later, a Phantom Chord).

So there you have it. Wish I knew what happened to them. Not the easiest bunch to search for these days (hardly the rarest of bandnames. Take the slightest of wrong turns, and you end up in the world of Ska, and we don't want that). Cruelly overlooked, sadly missed. The Volcanoes.

23 comments:

Onion Terror said...

Hybrid comp:
http://rapidshare.com/files/66021544/MR026.rar

Volcanoes - Into the Psyche:
http://rapidshare.com/files/66033096/MR027.rar

pw:
mutantrock

Anonymous said...

goodstuff you put here, yessir

thanks

ronnie, waiting for rattlers...

Onion Terror said...

It's coming, not tonight (working late gets me everytime, as does the crappy upstream), but soon (a selection of Happy Drivers - "Indians on the Road", "We'll be Going On", and maybe one of the psychobilly efforts).

Glad you like!

Anonymous said...

My dads best friend was the singer in the volcanoes...

Onion Terror said...

That is quite frankly awesome. I mean, really awesome. As you probably gathered from the post, I've been mightily enamoured of the Volcanoes for quite some time - since I saw your Dad's best friend on stage in Ashton supporting the Damned.

This also makes me feel really old, but we'll gloss over that.

Awesome.

qualcast said...

thanks for this site.I appreciate it.The Volcanoes were our passion.We should have garnered more attention but I guess at the time there were a lot of bands doing similar stuff though none in my opinion as refined as ours.
I used to play guitar with the V's.
For more info you can contact me with questions at; rolf_knudsen@yahoo.com.au

jfd said...

Hey guys so people do appreciate good music. This is my dad so am interested who was the anonymous best friend with him, i'm sure he will want to get in touch. Let me know
Johnny

Victa said...

The singer had the attitude, the bass player had the look, the drummer had jazz & the guitarist had the force.....& I had a very bad haircut.

Anonymous said...

I think I can scan my LP with a friend's scanner. I'll see what can I do.

¡Excellent album!

buzon_luis said...

I was 13 years old when my brother (an spanish teenager rocker) got a record from a group called the Volcanoes. It became soon one of my favourite disks.
When I listened again to it, after 20 years!... it was amazing... this record is so good!

Anonymous said...

This comment is probably a bit late in the day!

The Volcanoes were a great band with originality and lots of energy. It's great to see that people still enjoy our music today.

Type 'The Volcanoes - Wild', into YouTube to hear the track Wild and to see a photo montage of the band and a bit of info.

If you have any questions or want any more info, my email is stuartjames@talktalk.net

Thanks,

Stuart James aka 'Sealed Unit'

Anonymous said...

Thanx shoelace (and Buzon Luis and the others) for your appreciation, that experience lasted six years, our music evolved a lot over those years and artistically and socially we had a goddamm good time. Shame it never took off commercially but that's r&r for you ;) It was nevertheless of great satisfaction to have Mike Reed and other discerning pros appreciate and play it on the airwaves and write appreciative comments. And now I come across this blog... good on yer!
Yeah, I was Lurch the bass player with the look (thanx Victa)and it's funny to see how the web gets people crawling out of the woodwork, 3 of the 4 of us here. Johnny how are you, give my regards to Dad please. And for the record everybody it was Qualcast/Rolf who did the album cover, playing guitar is just one of that modest man's many talents. The scanner doesn't exist that'll do justice to that cover, there's so much intricate detail on it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Shoelace. I've been looking for "The ballad of the vodoo ranger" from Multicoloured Shades for years.

Unknown said...

I HAVE AN UNPLAYED COPY OF THE HYBRID LP SHOWN. NOT SURE ABOUT THE OTHER VOLUME. AM JUST PUTTING
THE VOLCANOES LP ON E-BAY. CHECK
OSCAR 2474

Unknown said...

Hi I have an unplayed copy of the Hybrid L.P. Also I am listing Volcanoes on E bay. Check out oscar2474.Thanks

Anonymous said...

hi there, my name Vockett, im a 37 year old fan from uruguay (you know the tiny country between brazil and argentina in southamerica) thank god for the internet, its amazing to finally reach a menber of one of my favourite bands of all time, im a die hard collector and kinda a conoisseur (that sounds so pedant, soryy) of punk and post punk, early gothic (i dislike that term) music and i must say that the volcanoes into the psyche is one of the best albums of that age and the biggest unrecognised band of all english punk and post punk movement, first of all ill like to say thanks for guiving me years and years of listening pleasure , your music trully were very important in my life, and i want to tell u my odissey with your music: about 20 years ago a friend of mine gave a cassette with a recording of your album (he knew my favourite bands were sisters of mercy, bauhaus and the cramps and he told me: this is a band were youll find the three of them like rolled into one) from the fisrt time i heard the recording i fell in love forever with your music, i went visitin my family in spain a lot of the local punk comunnity and some people i knew from the new york scene and later other people i met in london all told me : its a very rare band, a friend of a friend of mine kenw a dude who use to have the album and he recordeed into a cassette tape for me, years passed and again in uruguay i heard that some dude who lived a lot of years in london have the album and he aired on the radio, i went to the radio station, but he returned to london and once again the chance to actually see the album was lost to me (this was before interner, so i was listening to your music for a lot of years without never seeing the band, or the cover art or the lirycs (im kinda rusty in my english, but back at the day i was like guessing the lyrics, i even didnt know if you were from europe or america, but the acent in the vocals sounds like a english tone to me) finally years later i took my cassette copy to a music engineer and he remasterized, as long as he can, working from that source, and i made a lot of copys to cd-r and start guiving them away to other collectors in argentina and brazil (yes, i used to travel a lot, right now i live in mexico) after years and years of searching in the web finally one day i found a copy of your album on sale in a store in new york and i bought it, i was eleven years looking for that album) once i get it i try to put a web page on line to let the world know about your music but i never have the time nor the knowledge to do that

im the manager of a local night club and last year we edited a music compilation of some of our local talent and later on i met and became friends with jorge alderete of kong records (the managers of lost acapulco and the rebel cats) the idea come to me once again to edit the volcanoes stuff in a limited edition luxury case with all the discography, lyrics, history and what not, are someone out there interested in do that? what happened to the rights to the music and the original masters? if someone can help me, please let me know and we can do something

Anonymous said...

Amazing stuff the Volcanoes... Lots of work for sure to get that sound. Really amazing voice and everything. I'm going to poison myself was my favorite.

A pleasure to read from you,
Diego (Luis brother)

Cabage said...

Great Band. I'm from Uruguay too, so you can proudly say that The Volcanoes are "Big in Uruguay".
I knew of the band a bunch of years ago at an ex girlfriend house: she had the LP, some guy who wanted to fuck her has given it to her. She made a tape for me. Poison Myself is a great, great song. A very cool band from Uruguay Buenos Muchachos cover it live a few times. Thank you Volcanoes!

Anonymous said...

Si si si, the volcanoes poison myself, joder que me acuerdo, emisora del palacio, cintas de casete, tardes de musica interminables, teniamos una banda con amigos y tocamos con los buenos muchachos en un pub por el centro de montevideo y recuerdo que hicieron una version muy guapa.

ya esta, a escuchar...

Anonymous said...

Si si si, volcanoes poison myself, emisora del palacio, cintas de cassete, tardes interminables de musica. teniamos una banda con amigos y tocamos con los Buenos Muchachos en un pub del centro de Montevideo y recuerdo una muy buena version.

Ya esta, ahora a escuchar...

dnr said...

I've grown up listening to the volcanoes. They're one of my favourite bands.
My dad bought the album years back and he hasn't had a chance to hold on to it since.
For anyone that wants to know there is another volcanoes track on the vinyl compilation: Around the world in 42 minutes. The tracks called the hunger.

Frans said...

A great album I taped a lot of friends.. no idea why they never got to utter stardom because the music is sooo good. Well, maybe the bandmembers were cursed or something.

Frans, the cartoonist from Bavaria

Amber Dernulc said...

Only a few years to late on this post!

I am the daughter of the lead singer, Johnny Volcano whose real name is Janez Dernulc (son of the Slovenian military figure).

I'm sure my dad would be proud to know about all these fans he has all these years later! My brother is on this thread "jfd" (another Janez Dernulc).

If anyone would like more information please contact me!